Saturday, January 1, 2022

2021 In Review

 Happy New Year everyone! 2021 was one of those strange years that was both slow and fast. Well, I'm ready to see what 2022 will bring. On the personal side it was eventful with Shawn and I navigating parenthood in the second wave of the pandemic and getting engaged in October. My day gig had me commuting to downtown Chicago on the train every day for 3 months. That meant at least 2 hours of commute time. I decided to make that my writing time, which ended up working well, as anyone with a 15th month old knows, it's hard to steal quiet time.

Here are my stats:

  • 2 articles published in 2021 in Cricket Media's Muse Magazine (One was a feature!)
  • Joined Storyteller Academy (Totally worth the monthly subscription, especially if you're someone who can't travel to in-person workshops. They do remote learning both live and recorded they also set you up with a critique group.)
  • Joined a wonderful critique group
  • Joined the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators 
  • 16 article pitches submitted for various children's magazines for 2022
  • Workshopped my completed middle grade mystery/ fantasy and currently querying it.
  • Completed and workshopped first chap book. 
  • Did my first Inktober
  • Did my second Nanowrimo
  • Got first full request from an agent. (Waiting to hear back post holidays. Even if I don't get signed, I see this as step in the right direction. So far, I've queried this book to six agents. I've gotten 4 polite declines, 1 no response and 1 full request. The query journey is interesting.)
                                         

My 2022 Goals:

  • Complete my first upper middle grade fantasy 
  • Finalize the video for the comedic short film I wrote and directed with my crew a few years ago.
  • Get our short film into some festivals.
  • Finish the quirky romcom script I've been brewing on for a few years.
  • Get an agent.
  • Plan our fun fabulous getaway wedding for October with my love.



CHEERS TO A HAPPY HEALTHY 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Review

2023 in Review ID: Jessica Renslow holds a camera as she gets B-Roll in the snow. That old saying about making God laugh when you make a pla...